Oh how the politicians today spend too much damn money like drunken sailors during Fleet Week! I was raised in the Republican Omaha followed by the Republican donut surrounding Atlanta. (The local media mentions that Georgia is a Democrat state in the small towns and inside Atlanta's perimeter; but, a suburban ring that votes Republican keeps things interesting.) I became libertarian thanks to great thinkers like Neal Boortz, Herman Cain, Eric Von Haessler, Dennis Miller, P.J. O'Rourke, and Bill Maher---all of these men are brilliant, not to mention their humor ranges from mildly amusing to hilarious.
I want the freedom to live my life the way I want to and I want the government out of my life as much as possible. People refer to this as fiscally conservative and socially liberal. You do what you want, I will do what I want. I want to make money, pay little taxes, and to be left the fuck alone unless someone's rights are infringed. I can't express my views on politics any better than these 100 quotes. Enjoy!
- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
- One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license.
- Anyone who thinks he has a better idea of what's good for people than people do is a swine.
- You can't get good Chinese takeout in China and Cuban cigars are rationed in Cuba. That's all you need to know about communism.
- No government as such is ever in favor of the freedom of the individual.
- You can't get rid of poverty by giving people money.
- When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
- There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
- If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free.
- A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.
- No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the sources of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power.
- Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.--James Bovard
- Legalize Freedom: Vote Libertarian.--Anonymous
- An inherent weakness of a pure democracy is that half the voters are below average intelligence.--Unknown
- The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.--Winston Churchill
- Voters who live off taxpayers are the Democrats' ace in the hole. The Democrats created big programs and never let the recipients forget it. This gives them an initial advantage of tens of millions of votes in any presidential election.--Joseph Sobran
- A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until a majority of voters discover that they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury.--Alexander Tytler
- A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money.--G. Gordon Liddy
- Governments harangue about deficits to get more revenue so they can spend more.--Allan H. Meltzer
- The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery.--Winston Churchill
- We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.--Winston Churchill
- When goods don't cross borders, soldiers will.--Fredric Bastiat
- The average family pays more in taxes than it spends on food, clothing, and shelter combined.--Dick Armey
- The next revolution will be when those who work refuse to support those who don't.--Walter Hickel
- If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand.--Milton Friedman
- The degree of a country's freedom is the degree of its prosperity.--Ayn Rand
- What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It's not good at much else.--Tom Clancy
- Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed.--Robert A. Heinlein
- Nationalized health is synonymous with delays, waiting lists, rationing, and high taxes.--Dr. Christopher Lyon
- The politicians don't just want your money. They want your soul. They want you to be worn down by taxes until you are dependent and helpless.--James Dale Davidson, National Taxpayers Union
- The whole gospel of Karl Marx can be summed up in a single sentence: Hate the man who is better off than you are.--Henry Hazlitt
- Liberals love to say things like, "We're just asking everyone to pay their fair share." But government is not about asking. It is about telling. The difference is fundamental. It is the difference between making love and being raped, between working for a living and being a slave. The Internal Revenue service is not asking anybody to do anything. It confiscates your assets and puts you behind bars if you don't pay.--Thomas Sowell
- Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery.--Calvin Coolidge
- The Government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other.
- As government expands, liberty contracts.
- Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence.
- Government doesn't tax to get the money it needs, government always needs the money it gets.
- The ten most dangerous words in the English language are "Hi, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help".
- Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
- Left-wing politicians take away your liberty in the name of children and of fighting poverty, while right-wing politicians do it in the name of family values and fighting drugs. Either way, government gets bigger and you become less free.
- The government's War on Poverty has transformed poverty from a short-term misfortune into a career choice.
- Immigrants used to come to America seeking freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom from government. Now they come looking for free health care, free education, and a free lunch.
- A little government involvement is just as dangerous as a lot – because the first leads inevitably to the second.
- The government is good at one thing. It knows how to break your legs, and then hand you a crutch and say, "See if it weren't for the government, you wouldn't be able to walk".
- Alcohol didn't cause the high crime rates of the '20s and '30s, Prohibition did. And drugs do not cause today's alarming crime rates, but drug prohibition does.--US District Judge James C. Paine, addressing the Federal Bar Association in Miami, November, 1991
- Without the War on Drugs, the financial engine that fuels terrorist organizations would sputter to a halt.--Ron Crickenberger, Libertarian Party Political Director 2/4/02
- I'm in favor of legalizing drugs. According to my value system, if people want to kill themselves, they have every right to do so. Most of the harm that comes from drugs is because they are illegal.--Milton Friedman
- According to George Hitchings, co-winner of the 1988 Nobel Prize in medicine, FDA's five-year delay in approving the antibacterial drug Septra cost 80,000 lives.--Sam Kazman
- Historically, much of the motivation for public schooling has been to stifle variety and institute social control.--Jack Hugh
- There are three things which I do not want the government choosing for me: my doctor, my school, and my God.--Doug Newman
- A tax-supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state.--Isabel Paterson
- Public schools are government-established, politician- and bureaucrat-controlled, fully politicized, taxpayer-supported, authoritarian socialist institutions. In fact, the public-school system is one of the purest examples of socialism existing in America.--Thomas L. Johnson
- The philosophy of the schoolroom in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next.--Abraham Lincoln
- Public Schools too often fail because they are shielded from the very force that improves performance and sparks innovation in nearly every other human enterprise – competition.--Robert Lutz/Clark Durant The essential notion of a capitalist society … is voluntary cooperation, voluntary exchange. The essential notion of a socialist society is force.--Milton Friedman
- First, God created idiots. That was just for practice. Then He created school boards.--Mark Twain
- How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.--Adolf Hitler
- There is only one way to kill capitalism – by taxes, taxes, and more taxes.--Karl Marx
- America needs fewer laws, not more prisons.--James Bovard
- The U.S. Constitution may be flawed, but it's a whole lot better than what we have now.--Unknown
- Everything government touches turns to crap.--Ringo Starr
- Honest people are never touchy about the matter of being trusted.--Ayn Rand
- Democrats can never get any sleep because they are afraid somebody somewhere is making too much money. Republicans can never get any sleep because they are afraid somebody somewhere is having too much fun.--Anonymous
- Electing even a few Libertarians to a governing board, is akin to having a designated driver in a roomful of drunks.--Doug Klippel, LP County Chair, Jacksonville, FL
- The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.--Ayn Rand
- Fools object to being governed poorly, while the intelligent object to being governed at all.--Anonymous
- They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?--Paul Harvey
- There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.--Robert Heinlein
- The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.--H.L. Mencken
- A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away.--Barry Goldwater
- The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.--Robert A. Heinlein
- Ask not what you can do for your country; ask what your government is doing to you.--Joseph Sobran
- Why doesn't everybody just leave everybody else the hell alone?--Jimmy Durante
- It rankles me when somebody tries to force somebody to do something.--John Wayne
- Political correctness is tyranny with manners.--Charlton Heston
- Remember that the key words in the sentence "I want to help you" is "I want".--G. James
- If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.--Thomas Jefferson
- The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates.--Tacitus
- I believe that every individual is naturally entitled to do as he pleases with himself and the fruits of his labor, so far as it in no way interferes with any other men's rights.--Abraham Lincoln
- Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.--Milton Friedman
- This country is a one-party country. Half of it is called Republican and half is called Democrat. It doesn't make any difference. All the really good ideas belong to the Libertarians.--Hugh Downs
- Liberals want the government to be your Mommy. Conservatives want government to be your Daddy. Libertarians want it to treat you like an adult.--Andre Marrou
- When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both.--James Dale Davidson, National Taxpayers Union
- The Ten Commandments contain 297 words. The Bill of Rights is stated in 463 words. Lincoln's Gettysburg Address contains 266 words. A recent federal directive to regulate the price of cabbage contains 26,911 words.--The Atlanta Journal
- When they kept you out it was because you were black; when they let you in, it is because you are black. That's progress?--Marilyn French
- I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.--Thomas Jefferson
- That government is best which governs least.--Henry David Thoreau
- Any fool can make a rule, and every fool will mind it.--Cousin Woodman
- The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.--Edmund Burke
- Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun. Safety locks? You will pull the trigger with a lock on, and I'll pull the trigger. We'll see who wins.--Sammy "The Bull" Gravano, whose testimony convicted John Gotti
- When government accepts responsibility for people, then people no longer take responsibility for themselves.--George Pataki
- The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.--Benjamin Franklin
- I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate everyone else's.--Kee Hinckley
- Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.--H.L. Mencken
- The right most valued by all civilized men is the right to be left alone.--Justice Louis Brandeis
- Libertarianism is the philosophy which says that you can run your life better than the government can, and you have the right to be left alone in order to do it.--Anonymous
- Letting lawyers make laws is like letting doctors make diseases.--Anonymous
- It is better to correct your own faults than those of another.--Democritus
- "Solve" and "Problems" are not in the constitution.--Doug Newman
- There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal.--F.A. Hayek
- The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage.--Thucydides